Between 1944 and 1945, during the second world war, Jews that lived in the Budapest ghetto were taken to the bank of the Danube where they were ordered to form a line along the river edge and take off their shoes. They were then shot in the back into the river.
People were taken to the river bank on a regular basis. Not all of those lined up were shot; as a form of psychological terrorism some were not killed and were returned to the ghetto. Our guide at the Dohány street synagogue told us about a lady he met who was a little girl at the time of these events. She was taken there twice and survived both times. Many people however did not survive.
This memorial is dedicated to them. Conceived by film director Can Togay and sculpted in iron by Gyula Pauer in 2005, it is located between the Chain Bridge and the Parliament on the Pest side.